We currently have an opening for the following positions:
Up Inc is a branding firm in downtown Toronto. Our areas of specialization include graphic design, brand strategy and communications. We work in many different industries: retail, hospitality, healthcare, pharmaceuticals, software and financial. Thirty people work here; our communications team currently includes four people, who fulfil all editorial roles: writing, editing and proofreading.
We are looking for a full-time copy editor to join this team.
- Minimum of six years of relevant experience
- Very strong editing and proofreading skills (must successfully complete editing and proofreading tests)
- Flexibility and judgment in handling a full range of editorial tasks (e.g., rewriting, substantive editing, plain-language editing, copy/line editing, fact-checking, proofreading)
- Ability to handle both large and small documents and projects
- Very strong understanding of grammar and usage, as well as the ability to communicate reasoning behind editing and proofreading changes
- Ability to work independently, collaboratively and under the supervision of the Director of Communications Services
- Strong time-management skills, and the ability to keep track of numerous tasks and deadlines, and share ownership of projects within a team
What will be expected:
- Collaborating and communicating with editorial and account-group staff to ensure consistency and quality of all written, edited and proofread materials
- Editing and proofreading documents using MS Word and Adobe Acrobat track-changes functions
- Writing and rewriting content for client and internal initiatives
- Developing, updating and following formal and informal brand and content standards
- Tracking time on projects, and working within assigned project budgets
- Working with account group on scheduling and providing status updates at a moment’s notice
- Project and office administration
Not specifically required, but an asset:
- Education—journalism, communications, public relations
- Researching, interviewing, fact-checking skills
- Agency experience
- Quoting experience
- Communications/public-relations planning experience
- Understanding of basic design/typesetting principles
- Experience developing content standards/guidelines
- Experience in creative-concept brainstorming and development
How to apply:
Please send PDF submissions, no more than 5MB in size, to firstname.lastname@example.org. We will only contact those we wish to interview.
The account manager is one of the primary links between the customer and the agency. They are responsible for managing relationships and overseeing day-to-day project requirements, for small, medium and large accounts.
The account manager will also work closely with the account director on tasks such as developing client-relationship-building strategies; identifying accounts’ needs, and acting on how we can best meet those needs to increase customer retention; and identifying and acting on potential business opportunities within all accounts.
Our goal, for the entire account team, is to make every client, no matter what size the account, feel that they are the most important account to this company.
- Post-secondary education (minimum three-year diploma; four-year degree preferred)
- Have a strong understanding of print and digital marketing and communications
- Minimum of 5–7 years of professional agency experience
- Minimum 1–2 years as an account manager
Hands-on project-management responsibilities:
- Being the day-to-day project lead on small- to large-sized accounts
- Understanding projects’ scope and requirements based on verbal or written briefings
- Managing multiple projects, small to large, on time and on budget, with exceptional client satisfaction. This includes: preparing schedules and quotations; managing projects’ budgets and deadlines; keeping accurate project records; preparing project invoices; keeping senior management team, clients and staff updated on the status of all projects; and regularly following up with internal staff to monitor the progress of all projects
- Liaising between clients and internal staff, which includes: preparing and coordinating project schedules, responding to all requests, compiling meeting notes/briefing information/instructions, keeping accurate records, communicating the status of budgets and time, reviewing revisions, etc.
- Liaising with suppliers, which includes: preparing purchase orders, approving vendor invoices, responding to requests, compiling meeting notes and instructions; preparing and coordinating project schedules, and following up on outstanding project issues and deliverables
- Being backup to any member of the account services team in their absence
- Participating in pitches on accounts
- Performing other duties as assigned
Client account lead responsibilities:
- Keeping up-to-date with clients’ corporate identity and brand standards, including understanding the use of editorial style guides
- Staying up-to-date with clients’ business/marketing plans
- Working with the account director on:
- Monitoring and reviewing assigned accounts’ financial status—including income and profitability
- Reviewing and approving all assigned account quotations, purchase orders and invoices
- Creating and executing new-business strategies within existing accounts
- Meeting with clients on a regular basis (e.g., quarterly, informally or formally) to identify how Up Inc can help them better achieve their branding, marketing and communication goals
- Being proficient in using the in-house project management software (FileMaker) and knowledge- management media wiki to retrieve information about clients, suppliers, jobs, quotes, invoices, project details, billing details, timesheets, archiving, etc.
- Strong understanding of MS Word and Excel
- Ensuring that Up Inc’s wiki, FileMaker and server have the up-to-date account/project management and design/brand standards information for their assigned accounts
- Staying informed on the studio’s processes and procedures to ensure consistent, high-quality execution of design, editorial, print, digital and motion projects
- Performing other duties as assigned, including project-related administration, proposal support, etc.
- Self-managing own time when working on numerous tasks and deadlines
- Providing detailed time-tracking information and entering it into the project management software system (FileMaker)
- Performing other duties as assigned
Yearly average breakdown of time spent:
- 80% billable-project coordination
- 20% non-billable and admin duties
How to apply:
Please send PDF submissions, including resume and samples of your work, no more than 5MB in size, to email@example.com. We will only contact those we wish to interview.